Best Canister Filter Review
Fishkeeping has been quite a popular hobby in recent years. Those who are mesmerized by underwater life, but are not comfortable diving or snorkeling, have chosen this pastime as a way to bring a portion of the ocean into their own home. However, as beautiful as the finished product is, sustaining a tank filled with corals, sea vegetation, and different species of fish is admittedly an incredibly tedious task. As such, having the right tools at your disposal is an absolute must.
To ensuring you create Healthy Environments to your Aquarium, there are no alternative ways to use canister filters to ensure clean & crystal clear water for Aquarium which brings a healthy environment! That’s why we decided to do an article regarding the Best Canister Filters Review today. Please continue reading to know more about them. Surely, this article will make sense for you.
Out of all the equipment you’ll need, arguably the most important to have is a canister filter. For those that aren’t familiar, this mechanism sanitizes water by extracting dirty liquid through a tube or valve, cleanses it using a pressurized flask, before returning it back into the aquarium. This process helps preserve the lives of organisms by ensuring their ecosystem is clean and well-maintained.
Before you read the canister filters reviews below, you may read our honest Guideline about which filters are (HOB Filter/ Power Filter / Canister Filter) best for your aquarium.
- Our recommended Canister Filters:
- Best Canister Filter Reviews :
- 1. Fluval FX6 -Best Performance Canister Filter
- 2. OASE Biomaster Thermo 250 -High Performance Canister Filter With Integrated Heater
- 3. Fluval 07 Series Performance Canister Filter-
- 4. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter [BEST VALUE]
- 5. SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter
- 6. Fluval External Filter (106, 206,306,406)
- 7. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
- 8. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter
- 9. MarineLand Magniflow Canister Filter for Aquariums (Fast Maintenance)
- 10. Cobalt Aquatics 26000 Ext Canister Filter
- 11. MarineLand Internal Canister Filter -Best Choice For Small Tank!
- [Buying Guide]
- How To Choose The Right Canister Filter For Your Aquarium?
- Benefits of Buying the Product
- Canister Filter- FAQs
Our recommended Canister Filters:
“By the way, if you do not have enough time to go through the whole review of best canister filters, we would suggest you go for which is very affordable, durable and comes with a lot of good reviews and feedback from the buyers”
Best Canister Filter Reviews :
So if you’re one of the many people thinking of purchasing one, this article is a must-read. We’ll be enumerating the top ten options on the market and discussing their strengths, weaknesses, and best features. Hopefully, our feedback helps you decide which one best fits your needs.
Best Canister Filters For Aquarium:
In this section, we reviewed 10 of the best Canister Filters for Aquariums. What are those? let’s see the list:
|Image||Canister Filter Model||Details||Price|
|Fluval FX6||Flow Rate: 925 GPH
Capacity: Up to 400 gallons
Dimension: 15.1 x 15.6 x 20.7 inches
Weight: 19.9 Pounds
|OASE Biomaster Thermo 250||Flow Rate: 900 l/h
Capacity: Up to 250 l
Dimension: 9.4 x 9.4 x 14.6 inches
Weight: 15.5 Pounds
|Fluval FX4||Flow Rate: 450 GPH
Capacity: Up to 250 US Gallon
Dimension: 15.75 x 15.75 x 16.5 inches
Weight: 14.18 Pounds
|Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister- CCF3UL||Flow Rate: 265 GPH
Capacity: Up to 100 Gallon
Dimension: 15.5 x 17 x 10 inches
Weight: 12 Pounds
|Fluval External Filter- 406||Flow Rate: 245 US GPH
Capacity: 50 to 100 Gallons
Dimension: 9.5 x 7 x 19.3 inches
Weight: 10.8 Pounds
|Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic||Flow Rate: 264 US GPH
Capacity: 55 to 100 Gallons
Dimension: 11 x 8.07 x 15.75 inches
Weight: 14.3 Pounds
|Hydor Professional 350||Flow Rate: 240 GPH
Capacity: 60 to 100 Gallons
Dimension: 10 x 8 x 19 inches
Weight: 13.5 Pounds
|Marineland Magniflow Canister||Flow Rate: 360 GPH
Capacity: Up to 100 Gallons
Dimension: 114 x 11.02 x 18 inches
Weight: 19.62 Pounds
|Cobalt Aquatics 26000 Ext||Flow Rate: 210 GPH
Capacity: Up to 20 Gallons
Dimension: 8.25 x 8.25 x 12.5 inches
Weight: 6 Pounds
(Recommended for small aquarium)
|MarineLand Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter||Flow Rate: 290 GPH
Capacity: Up to 97 Gallons
Dimension: 8.5 x 5.81 x 11 inches
Weight: 3 Pounds
(Best choice for small Tank)
Ready for your ultimate canister filters guide?
1. Fluval FX6 -Best Performance Canister Filter
The company, Fluval, is one of the most trusted aquarium product brands in the world. Not only do they specialize in tanks of all sizes, but also other innovative products that have helped revolutionize the fishkeeping industry. Naturally, this includes countless types of canister filters and among these, the Fluval FX6 Filter is easily one of the best.
This powerful piece of machinery has the ability to maintain a 400-gallon tank within a 12-hour period. It uses multi-channel filtration and an augmented cleaning system that seamlessly changes the water in your aquarium. The FX6 even releases trapped air automatically so that it runs efficiently at all times, saving you both a ton of time and money in the process.
Technical Specs Of Fluval FX6
|Filter Circulation||563 GPH (2130 LPH)|
|Pump output||925 GHP (3500 LPH)|
|Filtration Volume||5.28 gallons (20 liters)|
Fluval FX6 Canister filter | Unboxing, Setup & Reviewed by Cichlid Bros
The unique quality of the FX6
Another unique quality of the FX6 canister filter is its self-starting feature. So, there’s no longer a need to meticulously set everything up. All you have to do is add clean water and plug it in, and the filtration system starts by itself. Just be sure to add a gravel vacuum so that even the sediments in the bottom are thoroughly cleaned.
On average, this is probably one of the more expensive choices on the market. But learning about its different qualities only justifies the cost. It is widely considered as a premier model that isn’t just durable, but also incredibly effective. Owning one will only make caring for your aquarium so much easier. If you don’t have a budget constraint, this is for sure of the best canister filter guide that you can choose.
You can read our complete review of Fluval FX6 here
- Equipped with all the necessary tools and more
- User-friendly setup
- Can withstand several heavy-duty tasks
- The motor consumes 10% less energy than other options
- 3-year warranty from the manufacturer, so is enough!
- Quite bulky, so needs to take up much space
- No additional features from previous models; but they’ve only been enhanced
- Expensive but effective
2. OASE Biomaster Thermo 250 -High Performance Canister Filter With Integrated Heater
If you are looking for a flexible filtration process that requires no worries from your side, the Biomaster Thermo 250 is the perfect candidate for your purpose! While this energy-efficient model is made in Italy, German engineering technology has increased its efficiency to a larger extent. The package consists of all the necessary accessories along with a 3-year warranty!
To read our complete review, you can also read this review article “OASE BioMaster Thermo 600” [Review & Comparison With 250/ 350]”
How to Install OASE BioMaster Thermo 250
- EasyClean Pre-filter Module: This feature makes it easier for you to remove the filter without any hassle, not to mention the easy cleaning process that follows. Just take out the prefilter module and after rinsing it thoroughly, insert it back to its place.
- In-Built Heater: Are you anxious about adjusting the water temperature of your fish tank? Besides getting accurate and stable temperatures, this retrofitted integrated heater makes sure you get a clear view of the aquarium inside as well. You can also adjust the water flow for both outlet and inlet tubing.
- Optimal Filtration: The 4-stage filtration process includes biological, chemical, mechanical (filter pad), and prefiltration to ensure your filter gets the maximum filtering. In addition to the clear tank water and healthy environment, the Hel-x biomedia creates an optimal surface area to help the growth of beneficial bacteria. While the fine filter foam with 45ppi provides the best mechanical filtration for tough debris, the activated carbon ensures the ideal nutrient cut and toxin removal from the surrounding. [ Our recommanded Activated Carbon is MaineLand Black Diamond.]
- Safety Feature: Managing the aquarium filter can be a watery mess if you are not careful enough. However, The Biomaster 250 comes with an auto shut-off feature that stops unwanted water leakage, especially when you are removing the prefilter module.
- Self-Priming: The auto-prime option of model 250 is very helpful for both starting and continuing the system. There is a vent button for efficient water intake when you are installing it after the cleaning procedure. The carrying handle of this canister filter is to help you move and maintain it effortlessly.
- Pretty easy installation process.
- 4-filtration system for an effective filtration process.
- Adjustable water flow.
- Compatible with marine and freshwater aquariums.
- Safety lock feature for blocking water leakage.
- A bit expensive but best!
3. Fluval 07 Series Performance Canister Filter-
Of course, you already know all about Fluval aquarium filters. But let’s talk about the latest Fluval 07 Series Canister Filter, which is relatively new and popular.
This series has four different models that are compatible with fish tanks with various capacities. They are also robust, energy-efficient, and durable.
Fluval 07 Canister Filter Series | Installation Guide
- Capacity: The Fluval 07 series filters are suitable for 10-30 gallons to 100 gallons fish tanks and have an excellent GPH rating. Let’s have a look at the breakdown of the models and their capacities.
~ Model 107 – 30 Gallons (145 GPH)
~ Model 207 – 45 Gallons (206 GPH)
~ Model 307 – 75 Gallons (303 GPH)
~ Model 407 – 100 Gallons (383 GPH)
- Material And Design: The Fluval 07 aquarium filters are plastic-built. However, it was designed for easy operation and to last longer. The filter has a lift-lock motorhead clamp for quick release and locking.
- Noise Level: Did you find any of the previous Fluval filters noisy? Well, we can’t blame you if you found the loud part disappointing. But I believe you will be impressed to know how much Fluval has changed since then. This latest aquarium filter series is 25% quieter than the previous models.
- Efficiency: The Fluval 07 series filters are powerful. Yet, a Fluval 07 filter consumes less power, like a household LED bulb. So, you will hardly notice any difference in your power bill.
- User-Friendly: This filter series is easier to clean and maintain. You can pull out the media basket using one finger. And its self-priming feature spares you from the trouble of manual siphoning.
- Versatile design
- Easy to set up
- Suitable for small to large fish tanks
- Made with ETech for robust performance
- The material could have been better
- A bit challenging to assemble
The Fluval aquarium filters are all about power, performance, efficiency, and flexibility. The price tag can make many buyers hesitate. But the best deals always come at the best price. And if you want to invest a bit more for the best value, you can check it out on Amazon for the latest updates.
4. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter [BEST VALUE]
If affordability is what you are prioritizing, then the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter should be an ideal option and thus, it’s entry to our list of the supreme canister filter. While this isn’t quite as elevated as other choices, it nevertheless gets the job done. Actually, for its price, one could even say that it is quite powerful.
This creation from Penn Plax utilizes a three-stage filtration system and swimming pool-style rotating valves that reach even the tightest of nooks. It has the ability to purify over 265 gallons of water per hour. Moreover, three large filtration media baskets (for filter media) have also been put in place so dirt and other residues can be easily strained. Finally, a sealed filtration tank ensures proper movement of liquid and no backflow of dirt occurs. All these different elements work together to keep your aquarium sanitized and the animals inside healthy and happy.
How to: Setting up Penn Plax Cascade
The Penn Plax’s value with each dollar spent:
The Penn Plax’s size is another quality worth noting. It’s small enough to maintain a 150-gallon tank, but not too big that it causes a problem. Igniting the whole cleaning is also fairly simple. Just twist in the valves, connect the hose, and plug it in a power source and the machine instantly works.
On the market right now, there isn’t another option that offers as much value with each dollar spent. If you’re an individual that’s only just starting out this hobby, or if you think you are planning to use a perfect filter for your betta fish tank, or are on a tighter than usual budget, this is a good product to invest in.
- Relatively cheap compared to other options
- Comes with several tools to customize cleaning
- Built for heavy-duty tasks
- A thorough filtration process eliminates dirt of all sizes
- Good size
- Rubberized base keeps the unit firmly in its place
- Consumes quite a lot of electricity
- Cleaning the canister can be challenging
- No warranty information is known but as per customer’s review its lasting long
5. SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter
Our next pick is something that you don’t hear about often. However, the SunSun HW-304B is undoubtedly one of the best canister filters for any fish tank. If you are looking for a well-built, efficient canister filter at a budget price, you need to check out this filter.
Fluval 406 Canister Filter (Unboxing & Setup)
- Self-Priming Pump: SunSun HW-304B is a self-priming canister filter. It means you don’t need to start it by siphoning manually.
This feature is quite rare in low-priced canister filters. You only need to push the priming button a few times after filling the canister with water.
- Noise Level: The screeching sound most filters make 24/7 makes you wish to shove it into the dumpster. No, I’m not saying that this SunSun canister filter is a saint.
But you don’t need to worry about unbearable noise coming from this one. Unless you are standing or sitting very close to the filter, you will barely hear anything.
- Capacity: I’m impressed by this filter’s filtration capacity, which is another rare feature for a filter of such price ranges. This filter comes with a 525 GPH level, which is quite impressive.
It makes the filter compatible with fish tanks with 150 gallons. Unfortunately, it does not come with flow control, which is a letdown.
- Filtration Media: Your aquarium will go through a 5-stage filtration process. Its four filter basket lets you add biological, chemical, and mechanical media of your choice. Furthermore, its UV sterilizer will help eliminate growing algae and nitrites.
- Built-in sterilizer
- Self-priming makes using it effortless
- Affordable price
- Customized filter media
- Does not take up much space
- Almost noiseless
- Easy to use
- No flow control
- Comparatively heavy
- UV sterilization needs to be supervised
The SunSun HW-304B Canister Filter is one of the most versatile, effective, and well-performing aquarium filters I’ve come across. Yes, it does have a few downfalls like most other filters. If you want to purchase this external canister filter, you can check the latest price and updates from Amazon.
6. Fluval External Filter (106, 206,306,406)
Fluval may be known as an expensive brand, but their External Filter series is proof that they can manufacture affordable products as well. Many customers are ecstatic to learn that this set of products can potentially serve as solutions to their needs as well. Here are some of their most notable traits.
In true Fluval fashion, these canister filters use several processes to properly decontaminate the water. For one, its square shape can hold up to 50% more liquid than other containers. It also comes with several AquaStop valves, lifts and lock clamps, and various mechanical. All these help make fishkeeping more fun and efficient. A powerful motor is also present to guarantee a smooth flow. Just like a beating heart, it pumps vigorously so that over 100-gallons of water can pass through this machine. Drip loops are likewise present to prevent any leaks.
Fluval 406 Canister Filter (Unboxing & Setup)
Fluval with three separate filtration media baskets
All Fluval External Filters are equipped with three separate filter media baskets, each one with a specific job to do. First, there is the mechanical stage, which catches large pieces of debris and prevents any clogs from happening. Once this is done, the second and third stages are automatically set forth. Both the chemical and biological phases work to properly dispose of waste. This purifies the water before returning it back into the aquarium.
Interested users can choose from four distinct sizes in this series. Just be sure that the canister filter you buy matches your cabinet space. After all, this is usually what most aficionados do it doesn’t look messy at home.
- Very easy to set up and even maintain
- Doesn’t make much noise when filtering
- The body is small enough to fit in most water cabinets
- Comes with a 3-year warranty from manufacturers
- Good value for money deal
- Has a tendency to leak after a few months but it has 3year warranty
- The Body is not as durable as other models
7. Ehm Fltr 2217 Classic Wm 264g
Very few manufacturers have had the reputation that Eheim can boast of. In their 70-years of existence, they have consistently established themselves as a true innovator in the fishkeeping industry. Producing quality accessories for aquariums has been something already expected of them from consumers.
Of their many offerings, the Eheim Canister Filter 2217 is the one that most easily sticks out. However, it isn’t because of looks. One can be easily deceived by its everyday green and black façade, yet it is only when the machine is plugged in that its true value is revealed.
Firstly, this device is designed with 8 filters that go on top of one another: 6 of them collects large clumps of waste, another strains smaller particles, while the last one focuses on the chemicals. This one chamber setup is a big reason why the Eheim Canister Filter 2217 is so effective at catching residue, which ultimately prevents it from going back into the tank. A special intake tube has also been installed at the bottom to stop any water bypass.
Click here to check out the current price of this filter on Amazon.
Besides this smooth movement, durability is another trademark of Eheim. This particular model has been fabricated using first-rate materials, making it one of the most durable options out there. Just have it checked every few months to maintain its high level of efficiency.
Overall, these basic qualities make it a viable option for anyone thinking about entering the fishkeeping game. It’s sturdy, effective, and will make your cleaning routines so much simpler.
- It can last several years without issue
- Great at collecting waste
- Affordably priced
- Low energy consumption
- The compact size makes it easy to store and mobilize
- Lacks some features that other filters have
- Manual setting up can be quite challenging
- Needs to improve distillation of water
8. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter
Offering variants is a good way for companies to address multiple consumer needs at once. The Hydor Professional External Canister Filter series is a great example of this as it comes in five distinct variations. While each one is only differentiated by their size and filtering capacity, they all still share the same dominant features that have made it a darling among fishkeeping enthusiasts.
One of the most noticeable things about this model is its shape. Most canister filters are either cylindrical or oblong, but this employs a rectangular design, giving it the capacity to store more filtration mediums. This is an important quality because having additional filters provides a better chance of blocking dirt from passing through.
The flow rate of Hydor Professional
The Hydor Professional External Canister Filter series also offers a powerful flow rate that is as good as other more reputable manufacturers. It can pump in anywhere from 190 to 345 gallons of water per hour, depending on the model you choose. All this strength is correspondingly supported by strategically placed clamps to lock the machine in place and valves that prevent any backflow.
These quality features, coupled with a reasonable price point, has made it a popular option for consumers. Add in the fact that setting it up is a breeze and you instantly have a contender for unbeatable canister filter on the market. Anyone that’s looking for a great deal must consider purchasing anyone from the Hydor Professional External Canister Filter series.
- An ideal choice for amateurs
- Relatively easy to clean and care for
- The stylish design is something you can show off
- Has a seamless water flow and collection of dirt
- Settings can be customized according to your preference
- Manual may be initially difficult to decipher
- Replacement parts are still hard to come by
- There have been several reports of leaks occurring
9. MarineLand Magniflow Canister Filter for Aquariums (Fast Maintenance)
Judging by its name alone may show that the MarineLand Magniflow C360 Canister Filter is an adequate choice for fish collectors. A deeper inspection of it will only prove that point. In short, this canister filter is one of the most sought-after models available, especially for larger-sized tanks. Here are a few of its best qualities.
As the bulkiest choices on our list, it’s not surprising that the Magniflow C360 possesses a lot of power. A strong pump implanted in its interior ensures water flow is fast and continuous. Once it passes through the filters, multiple trays are present to purify and catch unwanted waste. These receptacles are also big enough so that several types of filtration media can be placed at the same time.
Advantages almost the same but the price is in your budget!
The tubes and lid both have likewise been reinforced using specialized valves and clamps. Leaks and backflows are two common problems experienced by buyers, which often results in serious internal damages. Having these contingencies is a good way of preserving the unit and maintaining its efficiency, saving you money in the process.
In terms of specs, the MarineLand Magniflow C360 Canister Filter isn’t much different from other more advanced models on the market. But what truly sets it apart is that you can get this at half the price, making it quite a bargain. One can even make a strong argument about its high proficiency when cleaning your tank. Therefore, if you’re ever in need of a new canister filter, this has got to be high atop your list.
Marineland Magniflow 360 Canister Filter Unboxing and Setup by FishyReview
You can read our complete review of Marineland Magniflow 360
- Offers strong value for its price point
- Large filter media trays give you flexibility to customize content
- Has a smooth-running motor
- MarineLand is one of the best in customer service
- Easy to start and setup
- Its size is impractical and difficult to store
- The screen in the tray is pretty sensitive
10. Cobalt Aquatics 26000 Ext Canister Filter
Those thinking of getting into fishkeeping might want to sample a basic model first. It may not have all the high-end features, but at least it won’t cost too much. Hence, the Cobalt Aquatics Ext Canister Filter would be a good fit for you.
Unlike other models, this device makes use of a four-step filtration process instead of the standard three. It clears debris, removes odors, and eliminates contaminants that could cause harm to fish, but also produces a new specialized substance. The last one is essential since it helps bacteria fuse with nitrogen to improve the biological component of the tank. After all these tasks are cleared, a fourth filter – called the polishing phase – is initialized to eradicate all remaining dirt. This safeguards the water quality as best as possible.
Cobalt Aquatics Ext Canister Filter is Incredibly user-friendly
Aside from its thorough cleaning qualities, the Cobalt Aquatics Ext Canister Filter is also incredibly user-friendly, beginning with the setup. Once it is taken out from the box, just install the intake pump, choose a place to put the canister, connect it to a power source, and stand back as the filtration begins. There’s no longer a need for intricate installation; it’s really that simple.
Even cleaning the insides is a breeze. Just snap open the quick-release valve so the canister unlocks and start washing the pump. Do this once every three months to maintain the product’s integrity.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the Cobalt Aquatics Ext Canister Filter is far from complete, yet it offers enough value to be a contender on this list. With a price of just over a hundred dollars, who can complain if it meets the bare necessities of a cleaning tool, right?
- An impeccable option for beginners
- Recreates a real environment of the sea or river
- Manufacturers have extended a 3-year warranty
- Has a compact size
- The filter media trays are large
- It is only suited for small tanks (55 gallons and below)
- The production is flimsy and may occasionally cause leaks
- Is not complete with features you may be looking for
11. MarineLand Internal Canister Filter -Best Choice For Small Tank!
The final item on our list is the MarineLand Internal Canister Filter, and just like all the others is a solid option for fish collectors. However, don’t be fooled by its cheap price since it provides many noteworthy benefits. Here are a few of them.
One of the first things any consumer will notice is its smaller size when compared with external filters. Don’t be alarmed, since an internal filtration system must be submerged inside the tank to work. This placement aids the machine to run smoothly and effectively dispose of waste.
As you peer inside the canister filter, you should find two chambers, each one large enough to store multiple filtration media containers. Yet just like its external counterparts, the MarineLand Internal Canister Filter also uses a three-step filtration process to seize large sediments, removes discoloration and water impurities, and enhances a helpful bacterium that combats ammonia. This maintains the richness of the water inside the tank to keep the animals inside free from disease.
Internal Canister Filter What did this thing do to my TANK?
Small but powerful internal Canister Filter!
Furthermore, this instrument produces quite a substantial amount of force. Even at a height of twelve inches, it can still purify over 97 gallons of water and re-do this cycle about three times every sixty minutes. That induces a total of 280 gallons within that time frame. By comparison, other filters with that same strength are almost three or four times the size of this one.
The amount of power it packs in such a small bundle is what truly makes this special. Consumers who lack space at home should consider this setup. After all, at the end of the day, it’s really only the result that’s important.
How To Setup MarineLand Internal Canister Filter
- It’s a low-cost option
- Ideal for larger scale aquariums
- Trays can be customized and filled with different content
- No need for the tedious setup
- Perfect for tanks with no space on the sides
- Very powerful
- Quite bulky when compared to other internal filters
- Makes a lot of noise
- Media is not included in this package
How To Choose The Right Canister Filter For Your Aquarium?
Now that we’ve enumerated all the options and their corresponding benefits, let’s proceed to the next part. Knowing these pieces of information is only one-half of the equation. Before making an informed decision, there are other factors that need consideration, too. There are things that may not seem significant in the beginning, but actually matter in the end. It’s better to know about them now, instead of later on when it’s already too late.
Each and every canister filter has its own cleaning capacity. So one major element to consider is dependent on the area of your tank. If yours can carry more than 300 gallons of water, then it might be best to buy a heavy-duty model. On the other hand, averaged-sized aquariums can make do with an entry-level option. Finally, smaller containers can be maintained with lower-powered external filters or even an internal one. That’s why this has made it to our list of the best canister filters requirements.
Additionally, bigger aquariums might contain a more complex setup, complete with corals, algae, and exotic sea critters. Therefore, investing in choices that specialize in certain tasks would be a wiser choice. Just as simpler systems will only need basic options. Ultimately, associating the area size directly to a canister filter’s strong suits will allow to maximize it more, so this is definitely something that needs consideration.
A so-called best canister filter has to have enough storage space. Before going all-in on a specific model, try to visualize where exactly it will do. Does it fit beside the aquarium? Should it be placed inside the cabinet? Wouldn’t it be better to just immerse it in water? As soon as you figure this out, it should narrow the choices greatly.
Many consumers often overlook this consideration. That is until they begin putting it together and realizing there’s no place to assign it. So take it from people who have gone through this issue – Before even stepping in a pet shop or specialty store, know first where everything goes.
Another factor that’s almost always ignored is the filter’s power supply requirement. We’ve seen this all too many time – users spend so much on the purchase, sets everything up perfectly, and begins to add the fish, only to realize that it doesn’t match the socket’s voltage. Needless to say, this is a nightmare come true.
We know you can just buy a transformer; but why should you when all this can be avoided in the first place? So even when just canvassing an option, be sure to identify the power supply in your home. Otherwise, it could cause a lot of stress or worse; things could result in an accident.
Of course, arguably the most polarizing factor when considering a canister filter to buy is price. These three simple digits could spell the difference between buying one option and going completely in a different direction.
So even before deciding on something, try to decide what your initial budget is first. Identify also if this cleaning tool really is something you need, what qualities you will prioritize, and most importantly, recognize what your non-negotiables are. Once this question is out of the way, you’ll have a better idea of what direction to go in.
Design and Durability
While we’re not particular with aesthetics, the practicality of layouts and the canister’s sturdiness are two things we value highly. This all falls under the broad scope of design.
When in the process of choosing a canister filter, we’ll always suggest prioritizing durability over flashy qualities. Ultimately, it won’t matter how efficient it pumps water or what valve controls which command if it doesn’t last for more than 6 months. If you end up with a low-quality option, you’ll probably regret the decision greatly.
Benefits of Buying the Product
As we’ve stated earlier, the canister filter is basically the bloodstream in an aquarium setup. The animals, rocks, and plants inside, no matter how beautiful, will eventually die without this accessory. But what exactly is its role?
The obvious answer here is that it cleans the tank. Fish, much like other living organisms, produce waste. Fragments that fall from the outside could also pose a threat. These pieces of debris, if not acted on quickly, can release bacteria and other viruses into the water, putting the whole ecosystem in harm. Having a canister filter present serves as the tank cleaning agent. It sucks out unwanted trash and purifies the water, keeping it as sanitized as possible.
Another benefit of using this product is it helps cultivate good bacteria to further improve the bio-network. When these microorganisms fuse together with other elements like carbon and nitrogen, this creates a bond that’s quite similar to the bodies of water. The result is a closer duplicate to the real thing, giving the inhabitants a better place to live in.
Lastly, having a canister filter running at all times gives you the peace of mind to focus on other more important things. Not only does this save you money, but also time and a lot of stressful nights. Most of the options can be easily set up and are mostly self-sustaining. You’ll only really check on them a few minutes every day and wash it every quarter of a year. Other than that, it will basically guarantee the cleanliness of your aquarium.
You see, the advantages of owning this apparatus clearly outweigh the negatives. So when given the chance, we would suggest you do some more research in hopes of deepening your understanding of this revolutionary product.
Canister Filter- FAQs
Interested buyers will always inquire more about a topic. Here are some of their most frequently asked questions and our responses to each.
(1). Where is the best place to buy a canister filter?
Try visiting your local pet store to see if they have any available stocks. Otherwise, your local mall should have a specialty store devoted to this kind of hobby. Unless if you wanna the best quality product online, then no doubt, the name of amazon.com comes first!
(2). Is owning one (Canister Filter) really necessary?
Yes. Utilizing one for your aquarium setup ensures the quality of water is preserved, disposes of any unwanted waste, and improves life inside the tank. This may seem like a big investment at first, but trust us – it will pay dividends in the long run.
(3). Who are the top manufacturers in this industry of Canister Filter?
While there are several reputable companies in this trade, the top three according to our research are Fluval, Penn Plax, sunsun canister filter (with UV Sterilizer) and Eheim. These are the longest-tenured and have consistently introduced merchandise that has changed the face of this niche.
You can also read our real reviews on-
- Fluval Canister Filter FX6 Review
- Penn Plax Cascade Canister Review
- MarineLand Magniflow Canister Filter Review
- OASE BioMaster Thermo 600
(4). Does size matter of Canister Filter?
On average, yes. The larger the canister, the more powerful it usually is. However, there are certainly exceptions to the rule. So when looking around, be sure to go beyond the face value. You could be pleasantly surprised.
(5). How to set up a Canister Filter?
Once you buy a canister filter for your own, you need to set up your canister filter properly. Otherwise, it may not work properly. First of all, read the manual, check the list of the parts, assemble the canister filter. Then place the canister filter under your fish tank.
After that installed the hoses, prime your filter, and adjust the intake and screen. Also, adjust the filter return tube.
This is a short checklist only. But we described “How to set up a canister filter like a pro” in another article which will guide you properly.
(6). How Does A Canister Filter Work & Why Should You Use It?
We have another article with details about this subject. read along.
(7). How To Clean Canister Filter?
We have another article with details about this subject. read along.
Choosing the best canister filter is like picking candy from a grocery: it all really depends on taste and preference. Nevertheless, if we were to look at things objectively and judge the options based on the following characteristics – affordability, user-friendliness, effectivity, and durability – we would probably be able to choose a winner.
Of the choices that we discussed, undoubtedly, the best one is the Fluval External Filter (Ref. Review No.-10). It doesn’t just offer the greatest value for money and an easy priming process, but is also one of the most successful filtration systems on the market. This model even offers different variations depending on the size and specs of your aquarium. Consumers will find it easier to match their needs with a specific variant.
Obviously, this is just one side to a multitude of different perspectives. Just remember that the most important thing is when you’re deciding which option to buy, think of your personal needs and try to match it with that. This is really one of the best strategies to go.
Visit Our Facebook Page here.
As you know, Canistfilters contain mainly three categories filter Media with separate chambers i/e, 1. Biological Media, 2. Chemical Media & 3. Mechanical Media. To know more about them, click on the link given. This guide will help you choose the right one.
TO READ OUR COMPLETE REVIEWS:
- FLUVAL CANISTER FILTER FX6 REVIEW
- PENN PLAX CASCADE CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER REVIEW: IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?
- MARINELAND MAGNIFLOW CANISTER FILTER REVIEW [FEATURES, PROS & CONS]