ZEOLITE Diamond Blend from Marineland® Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals is another great Chemical filter media mixture from famed fish tank accessories manufacturers MarineLand. Unlike the previously discussed MarineLand Black Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon, the use of this media is solely restricted to freshwater aquarium filters.
“MarineLand® PA0392 Diamond Blend Activated Carbon contains both of zeolite and activated carbon. Zeolite is a white mineral that has a fabulously permeable surface and is really authoritative at removing ammonia and chloramines along with other pollution from fish tank water. By this way, you will get clean and sparkling water for your pet fish.”
Despite being one dimensional, MarineLand PA0392 is still one of the best aquarium filter media in the market. Why do you ask? Because you won’t find many filter media that could be as destructive as the blend of carbon and ammonia neutralizing crystals present in this particular solution.
Alongside activated carbon, zeolites also come into play to tackle aquarium impurities. Thanks to their sponge-like surface, zeolites can absorb ammonia and other unwanted chemicals. The end product is beautiful, odor-free water for your finned friends, which is a must for them to thrive.
- Specifically formulated for Freshwater: The mixture is exclusively tailored to tackle all freshwater aquarium maintenance issues.
- Activated carbon: Bituminous based charcoal serves as the ultimate cleaning agent.
- Zeolite: Porous zeolite particles to take in harmful chemicals and accelerate the cleaning process.
- Adept in keeping freshwater aquariums clean and functional.
- Zeolite and heat-activated bituminous carbon form a formidable partnership to provide thorough cleansing.
- You can purchase this in a variety of sizes to make sure it fits accurately to your aquarium filter.
- The formula is quite toxic to the human body. Exercise caution while using it.
- You need to change the water on a regular basis.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- What Is Zeolite?
- What Is Zeolite And Activated Carbon blend?
- What Zeolite Does And Doesn’t Do
- When And How To Use Zeolite?
- When Not To Use Zeolite And Carbon Blend In Your Aquarium
- Placement Of Zeolite Blend In Your Aquarium Filter
- Recharge Or Replace Zeolite Blend?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Final Thought
What Is Zeolite?
Zeolites are basically made of aluminum and hydrated silica, which is also known as the extremely permeable spongy minerals. They can catch any small particles or waste materials and contain them, just like a sponge absorbing water. They also attract ammonia, making them a suitable media content. Nowadays, some synthetic zeolites are also used as an alternative.
What Is Zeolite And Activated Carbon blend?
Zeolite is a porous mineral that can trap the odor and toxins from the liquid like a sponge absorbs water. Activated carbon is also known as activated charcoal which is treated with high temperature. It contains tiny and low voluminous pores to maximize the outer area of the carbon particle. You can use it for purifying gas, water, and food. Etc.
Zeolite with carbon blend is basically the mixture of these two products, that are specially used to filter aquarium water. They can eliminate all the germs and toxins from the water, also making it crystal clear.
What Zeolite Does And Doesn’t Do
Zeolite has many useful functions. A freshwater tank zeolite can prevent the spike of ammonia of the water by absorbing the ammonia. But once the ammonia is gone, take out the zeolite as it won’t work anymore. Remember that zeolite only removes ammonia, not every other chemical substance from your aquarium water. It also doesn’t last for a long time.
You should replace zeolite every once in a month to ensure a better outcome. A high level of ammonia can wear out the zeolite in less than two weeks.
When And How To Use Zeolite?
Zeolite can be a very useful medium to remove ammonia from your tank water for an urgent situation. But you should be careful before using it for a long period. Choose the zeolite particularly made for saltwater aquariums or freshwater ones. However, saltwater zeolites work for freshwater as well.
Some also have activated carbon blended with it, that can be used in a newly made aquarium with the possibility of an extreme ammonia spike.
When Not To Use Zeolite And Carbon Blend In Your Aquarium
Generally, you shouldn’t use zeolite in your new aquarium if there is no ammonia spike is happening. Use it for a brief time if such an event happens. And remove the zeolite as soon as the ammonia is eradicated from the water. Freshwater zeolite should never be used in a saltwater tank, the chemical reaction can kill the corals.
Also never add salt in a freshwater tank if zeolite is already present in there. This can cause the release of ammonia, meaning a sudden and harmful ammonia spike in the aquarium water.
Placement Of Zeolite Blend In Your Aquarium Filter
Zeolite is put in a bag like carbon media, which has to be positioned in the filter. You can purchase it in large volume or in specifically sized media packs. In the fish tank filter, put the zeolite among the mechanical media and the rings. Zeolite pads are also available in the market. You just have to cut the size you want and place it in the filter.
You can take some zeolites in a bag and place it straight in front of the water flow of the tank. This way you can remove or replace it anytime you want and without any trouble.
Recharge Or Replace Zeolite Blend?
Zeolites of a freshwater tank can be reactivated if you infuse it in a 5% salt emulsion. It will free the absorbed ammonia from the zeolite. Keep it in the solution for a day and then dry it in the sunlight for another two days. For a fast response, you can heat it in the oven for 30 minutes with a 350 F temperature. However, drying in the sun is the safest option.
Replace zeolite once it gets worn out. With the ammonia vanished, you can use the standard filter media instead of replacing it. But after recharging, make sure to change it every two or three months with a new zeolite.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does zeolite remove ammonia?
Ans.: Yes, it does.
- How often should I change my aquarium’s zeolite?
Ans.: Try to replace it every month.
- Where do I put the zeolite blend?
Ans.: In the filter of the aquarium.
- Can I use Zeolite for a long time?
Ans.: No, use it for a short time.
- Can I recharge zeolite?
Ans.: Yes, you can.
Our Final Thought
With MarineLand PA0392, you’ll get zeolite and activated carbon blend which can purify and clean the aquarium water with 2x efficiency. If your budget allows, try this Activated Carbon without any doubt!
N.B.: This Blend is Ideal For All Freshwater Aquariums & Ponds.
Articles Are Suggested For You:
- You May also like our detailed review of one of the most popular MarineLand Black Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon.
- If you like to get more knowledge on Biological Media, Chemical Media and Mechanical Filtration, We are recommending you to read these Roundup Reviews.